Patrick Dempsey is leaving 'Grey's Anatomy'

Patrick Dempsey is leaving 'Grey's Anatomy'
Patrick Dempsey is leaving 'Grey's Anatomy'. "I do not know what's going to happen to the other characters, but for me it's done," he tells Italian Vanity Fair.

Is Dr. McDreamy checking out of Grey's Anatomy's Seattle Grace?

Patrick Dempsey tells Italian Vogue that the upcoming eighth season is "gonna be my last."

"I do not know what's going to happen to the other characters, but for me it's done," added the actor.

The decision is "bittersweet because it's been a great part of my life. But I can't see me doing it anymore," Dempsey said of of the ABC hit.

His rep downplayed his statements, telling UsMagazine.com, "He was referring to the fact that his contract is up at the end of next season and we have no idea what the future holds."

Co-star (and TV wife) Ellen Pompeo is also rumored to be eyeing an exit to the show. Her contract is up at the same time.

Creator Shonda Rhimes has said the show will continue to adapt if big stars leave.

"We're heading towards the future of the show and eventually, unless we are extremely lucky, everybody's going to go," she said in an interview when Pompeo was pregnant. "A lot of shows don't make it because they don't know how to transition."

Still, "I can't really picture Mer Grey not appearing on the show. But we have Lexie Grey," added Rhimes, referring to Chyler Leigh, who plays Pompeo's sister on the drama.

Source:Hollywoodreporter